Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where we left off

So, where was I in my rambling. Oh, yea. So eating Veg has been great for mom's BP and cholesterol and we all feel really good about cutting meat out. Dad still gets his hot dogs when he wants em, and has his Tony's pizzas etc but we have not bought "meat" meat in over two months.

Scott is being tested for Gluten intolerance. The initial tests for Celiac came back negative so we are in the expanded tests and he is on a six week challenge test. Trying to balance a vegetarian, gluten free diet for Scott, a low-sodium, low-cholesterol diet for mom and making sure that baby gets everything she needs for balanced nutrition leaves me frazzled. You would think that cookbooks for vegetarians woudl be inheritantly healthy but I am amazed at the sodium content of some of the recipes. And often times the veg cookbooks tend to make up for a lack of meat with heavy dairy, cheese and eggs, sort of defeats the purpose in our book. Scott is finding that many of the gluten free books lean towards heavy meat-laden dishes. So far we have not found a cookbook that is a for the gluten-free vegetarian. Our pediatrician is on board with Rom being a vegetarian as long as we don't hold out on dairy or eggs until she is older. We are okay with that too for now. Well, that gets us caught up. My frustrations will be many, my challenges multiple and as I find solutions I wil gladly share :)

B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers