Monday, November 30, 2009

There's No Place Like Home For the Holidays


St. Nick
I love the smell of our Christmas ornaments.  I opened up the boxes today and started arrange the tinsel garlands throughout the house and there is a smell now, a cross between something dusty and something loved, permeating the kitchen and den and living room that tells me that, finally, Christmas is on it's way.  Three weeks! I'm so excited.  As expected this year has it's share of ups and downs in store for us but we are facing them with our chins up and a positive HO! HO! HO! instead of like previous years where we had a tendency to sweep our feelings under the skirt along with the needles dropped from the Christmas Tree.

Dressy Herbs
Scott and I started the morning cleaning and somehow moved into a decorating mode.  It's funny how our decorations look so spare in this house compared to our tiny apartments past.  We spread out tinsel garlands over the kitchen cupboards and around some of the windows, wound lights over the wine rack that we can't seem to part with, put up our vinyl window clings and mistletoe and it still doesn't seem "decorated" in here yet.  Maybe when we get the tree it will feel cozier.  I'm planning a trip to the dollar store and St. Vincent to add to what we already have in the meantime. Maybe I can find time to whip up some fudge today too; who knows where the day will take me.

Not Quite by the Chimney
I can't wait to see Romilly's face when she wakes up on Christmas Morning and sees all the presents under our tree.  I can see her little face all aglow, the Christmas lights pale in comparison to her rosy cheeks.  We'll have to sneak little bites of food into her sweet mouth in between her oohs and ahhs as she opens her wee presents from Mommy and Daddy and that one Special gift that Santa found a way to sneak in (despite our lack of a chimney).  Oh, I can't wait!  What a delight to finally have a child at Christmas time to share the joy of the holiday with, I've waited so long for her and I love her soooooo much.  Merry Christmas little one ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers