Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Memories


"I have memories-but only a fool stores his past in the future."~David Gerrold

It seems that right now there is a lot of focus on the past.  Everywhere I turn there is talk of tradition and memories of holidays gone by.  I can't help but wonder why? Why do we cling so tightly to the things that happened days, months even years ago as though those things mean more than the things that are happening right now, under our very noses?

Living in the present has been especially difficult to accomplish this Christmas Season.  My heart's desire is to begin new traditions with our little one but it seems that around me my loved ones cling to the old and are frightened of ushering in any new traditions or making new memories.  It is as though there is the fear that by creating these new memories,we will somehow be diminishing or tarnishing the old.  It frightens me to think that instead of cherishing the opportunities to make new lasting memories they are willing to live completely in the past; replaying past holidays over and over in an attempt to recapture some of those lost childhood memories instead of taking the risk involved with living in the present.

I'm not sure how to reconcile my heartfelt desire to live in the present with my loved ones expressed desire to continue on representing the past.  It seems as though we may always reach a stalemate and I feel that the only person that will lose in the long run is our little Rom.  I'm so saddened by this.  So, to memories.  I will cling to my beautiful memories but I recognize that without diligently pushing forward into the future I can never hope to make any new memories to carry me through when this amazing present becomes my magnificent past.

3 comments:

  1. Done 091203:2227
    Love you! Always have =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always surprised at how different things are now that we have Romilly. Like fudge! Who would have expected fudge could do that to a person!

    ReplyDelete

Followers