Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas is right around the Corner!

But I still feel all ansty inside.  Scott is gone all night, working late, late shifts at the Five.  It's been so difficult these past years having him gone every single Christmas.  I think the only year that we've been together that he hasn't worked at Big 5 was our first year and that was a different sort of year since it was, well, our first.  The years after that, the ones that  we really wanted to be more involved in the holiday traditions with our family, as well as creating new ones for ourselves, he has always worked at Big 5 and had to work 6 days a week throughout December.  It leaves me to do all the decorating, shopping, planning, cooking etc.  I feel bad for both of us.  I think this year I'll throw us a mini-pity party ;)  Nope, just kidding.  It is hard though.  He feels bad that he doesn't get to help plan gifts and take part in decorating and I get upset that I have to do everything by myself.  Throw a new baby in the mix and things take on a rather emotional angle.  We have both really felt the toll of him leaving until almost midnight each day.  He usually goes while Rom is down for her nap and she wakes up asking, "Dada? Where Dada?"  It's enough to break your heart.  And then we're both exhausted from the late nights (him working, me waiting up to see him when he gets home) so our mornings are usually slow going; not cool for Rom either.

Okay, time to perk up!!!!

All our handmade Christmas gifts are finished.  We really endeavored to be a bit more crafty this year.  And Scott put in the extra effort to be involved with the making of a few special gifts (although I don't think anything can top his birdfeeders from a few years back, still waiting for mine ;).  I feel so blessed to have a family that appreciates these sorts of exchanges.  I hear horror stories from friends about other friends or family members who want a "storebought" Christmas and won't settle for less.  There's just something about those homemade gifts that really makes me smile.  And I love visiting my relatives houses and seeing the things we've made for each other over the years proudly displayed (sometimes in all their lopsided childhood handprinted glory).  I can't wait to see what nifty little crafts Romilly pulls out of her stocking this year. She's a special little girl in her ability to recognize a handmade trinket and latch on to it with an endearing smile and coo.  And I can't wait to see what she makes for us in the coming years as her abilities to create gifts herself manifests!  Okay, now I don't feel so pitiful.  I'm terribly excited for Christmas (especially now that some of the hardest parts are behind us, save a few more midnight shifts on Scott's part) and can't wait for Rom to visit with her Aunties and Uncles and Grandpa and Tutu and to meet her very special cousins Jen and Jay!  I can hardly wait four more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers